Welcome to Tri-Cities Historical Museum
The Tri-Cities Historical Museum provides visitors an opportunity to look through the windows of time into the history of Northwest Ottawa County, including the communities of Grand Haven
, Spring Lake
, and Ferrysburg
. The Museum feels very much at home at this pivotal spot in the earliest development of West Michigan. Fur trader Rix Robinson established his trading post in 1821 not far from the very spot on which the present museum rests. Reverend William M. Ferry arrived here by boat from Mackinac Island on November 2, 1834 with twenty other people, including his family.
Located in two separate buildings both with historic connections to the area, the museum has grown and prospered since its beginnings back in 1959. Since 1972 it has occupied the former Grand Trunk Railroad Depot which was built in 1870. Offering exhibits for the entire family to enjoy. Exhibits which illustrate that throughout history—people, places, and things have played key roles in bringing about the quality of life enjoyed in Northwest Ottawa County today. On July 1, 2004 it opened the doors to its second site housed in the Akeley Building which was constructed in 1871.
Both locations display artifacts depicting the life and times of the people, places and events which have shaped our history. Exhibits tell the stories of native Americans, early pioneers, lumberjacks, and French voyageurs. Victorian period rooms, medicine, agriculture, lumbering, maritime, tourism, and other exhibits portraying day-to-day life-styles can be enjoyed by people of all ages and interests. The Museum also includes temporary exhibits that change from time to time. In recent years, World War II, folk art, and the Grand River have been the focus of these temporary exhibits.
Open year around six days a week, the Museum plays an important part in enhancing cultural tourism and providing historically significant benefit to the over 30,000 individuals the Museum touches each year.
May 18, 2013
Thank you for visiting!